Monday, 21 February 2011
NEWS FROM ALTON TOWERS
96 legs are better than one!
Biggest display of Japanese Spider Crabs arrive in the UK
Having travelled over 6,000 miles, 96 legs crawled their way into the Alton Towers Resort today, as the UK’s leading short break destination took a delivery of 12 gigantic Japanese Spider Crabs ahead of its February half-term season opening on 19th February. Brand new for 2011, the breathtaking creatures will reside in the all-new area of Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE, recently named Skeleton Bay.
The largest display of Japanese Spider Crabs in the UK, the giant amphibians are set to reach a combined weight of 230kg, and each span nearly four metres in length, the equivalent of the entire Oblivion track at Britain’s Greatest Escape.
Usually found off the southern Japanese island of Honshũ in depths up to 600 metres, the crabs will now settle within the Resort’s pirate-themed Mutiny Bay alongside over 300 other species of fish, including sharks and seahorses and more than one million litres of water.
Divisional Director of the Alton Towers Resort, Ian Crabbe said: ‘After months of anticipation and planning we’re really excited to be welcoming our 12 Japanese Spider Crabs into Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE and are now looking forward to seeing the reaction of visitors when they enter the new Skeleton Bay attraction and come face to face with the giant creatures! With endless family fun to be had this February half-term, we hope hosting the UK’s biggest ever display of Spider Crabs will provide our guests with a unique and memorable experience to take home in 2011!
The Alton Towers Resort is open from 10am-4pm every day between 19th-27th February for the February Half Term. With prices from just £13 per person for a family of four 2 day ticket when booked at altontowers.com, the Alton Towers Resort is a great day out of short break!
For more information on the UK’s number 1 short break destination and Britain’s Greatest Escape, visit www.altontowers.com or call 0871 222 9901
Facts and figures
• Laid out together, the leg span of the 12 Japanese Spider Crabs is equivalent to the track length of Oblivion!
• The combined weight of the crabs is over 230 kg – that’s the same as the flying ship in the Alton Towers Hotel
• The bodies of the crabs can grow up to 40 centimetres – that’s the same diameter as the rubber rings in the waterpark
• The team at Sharkbait Reef by Sea Life will clean the Spider Crabs with toothbrushes
• The natural habitat of the spider crabs is in the Pacific between 300-400 metres deep – that’s 20 times the height of TH13TEEN
- ends -
Notes to Editor
• The Alton Towers Hotel was voted Best UK Family Hotel by the Mother & Baby Magazine Survey, August 2007
• Alton Towers voted Best UK Theme Park attraction – British Travel Awards 2009 and 2010!
• Alton Towers theme park voted best UK day out experience at the British Travel Awards 2010
• Alton Towers voted large visitor attraction of the year at the 2010 Heart of England Excellence Awards