Monday, 15 June 2009
NEWS FROM BENNETTS
Britain’s Biggest Bike Lover
Bike fanatic revealed after national search
With over 100,000 miles under his belt and a passion for putting on his leathers, Dave Smith, 34 from Willenhall near Wolverhampton has been unveiled as Britain’s biggest bike fan! Discovered by Bennetts, the UK’s number one for bike insurance* following a nationwide search for the country’s biggest bike lover, Dave wowed the insurance provider with his unbelievable devotion to all things two wheels both on and off the road.
Dave, who has been riding for 18 years and has owned over 20 bikes in his life at a cost of just over £70,000 is rarely away from his current and beloved bike (a Honda CBR called Roxanne) and confesses to riding 365 days a year, come rain or shine. He has also travelled extensively throughout Europe on various different bikes and often travels to MotoGP races where he has met a number of the famous riders including James Toseland, Shakey Byrne and Troy Bayliss.
His extraordinary love for his bike and all things on two wheels has caused him a few problems in the past; costing him no less than five relationships as he always puts his bike first, even once keeping it in the living room in his old family home to save it getting wet and cold outside!
Currently living on the sixth floor of a block of flats, he has attempted several times to get the bike up to the comfort of his living room and has even admitted he has considered keeping the bike in bed with him when he sleeps! Unfortunately, he is unable to fit it in the lift to his flat and is forced to keep it out in the road. When he is not riding, Dave is never far away from his beloved CBR and is constantly ensuring it is clean and can often be found making constant maintenance changes to make sure the bike runs as smoothly as possible and purrs like a kitten!
Dave says “People sometimes don’t understand why I love motorbikes so much, but I always say to them ‘one man’s weirdo is another man’s enthusiast!’ I love the thrill of being out on the road and see it as a great way to escape the boring routines of a normal day. All my mates are bikers and they don’t find it weird that I have sometimes kept the bike inside the house, or even in my room! I take great pride in my hobby and invite anyone who hasn’t been on a bike to helmet up and give it a go!”
Paul Galligan, Director of Bennetts said, “We had a number of bikers get in touch but no one really demonstrated their passion quite as much as Dave. We feel we have found the UK’s biggest Bike lover who is literally willing to put his love for motorcycles before anything else!”
For more information on Dave and to check out his page on the website, visit www.bennetts.co.uk
- Ends -
*Based on brand tracking research in April 2009
For further information, contact details or photography please contact:
Frank PR on 020 7693 6999 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
Bennetts is a trading name of BISL Limited, Pegasus House, Bakewell Road, Orton Southgate, Peterborough, PE2 6YS. Registered in England No. 3231094.
BISL Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
THE BACKGROUND TO BENNETTS
· Bennetts was established in Coventry by the Bennetts family in 1930 to provide insurance services to people throughout the West Midlands.
· In the early 1980’s Bennetts decided to devise a number of specialist insurance schemes that would meet the needs of different types of biker. These schemes are constantly reviewed to give bikers the exact cover they need.
· In 2000 Bennetts was the first motorcycle insurance specialist to offer the ability to buy insurance online, through its website, www.bennetts.co.uk.
· In October 2001, the Bennetts brand was acquired by the BGL Group (formerly the Budget Group of Companies), through its purchase of the Dial Direct Group, a major UK car insurance intermediary.
· The BGL Group was established in 1992, and has grown to be the UK’s third largest personal lines insurance intermediary, through a combination of organic growth and a series of major strategic acquisitions.
· The BGL Group now arranges and administers insurance for around 2.3 million customers with more than £600million GWP. It has contact centre operations in Peterborough, Coventry, Sunderland, Peterlee and Cape Town, South Africa. It currently employs over 2000 people and its head office is in Peterborough.
· In May 2003, Bennetts unveiled its new brand identity to the industry.
· Bennetts became personal sponsor of former World Superbike Champion Neil Hodgson in May 2003.
· In April 2008 independent brand tracking research identified Bennetts as the UK’s number one brand for motorcycle insurance.
· In January 2005, Bennetts signed the biggest sponsorship deal in the history of the brand by becoming title sponsor of the 2005 Bennetts British Superbike Championship. Bennetts continued its sponsorship of the British Superbike Championship in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
· In June 2007, Bennetts became official series sponsor of the World Superbike Championship for the remainder of the 2007 championship and for the whole of the 2008 championship.
· Bennetts has been personal sponsor of Moto GP contender and former World Superbike Champion James Toseland since July 2007.